Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wyoming

For the long exhausting trek to South Dakota we ventured OFF the interstate and meandered through Idaho, Wyoming before returning to the interstate in South Dakota. The beauty of taking lovely two lane roads is well…the beauty. The down sides include having some of your roads turn into gravel with no warning and the abundance of farm machinery that need passing during the busy fall harvest season.

I let Douglas do most of the driving since passing other cars makes me way too anxious. I get all excited and my lead foot becomes even heavier. It’s just better to let Douglas drive. I did drive a nice long section through Wyoming for a while though and I think I was the only one on that road. If you ever think the country is getting too crowded you need to get yourself to Wyoming and take a little drive. There is plenty of peace and quiet out there.

We stayed in Jackson, Wyoming the first night at a delightful little condo. We were able to explore a bit before getting back in the car. One of the highlights for the kids was climbing around a mini golf course. This little course had the steepest terrain I’ve ever seen for mini golf! It really would have been a fun course to play.

As we left Jackson we drove past the majestic Teton Mountains. These rocky peaks were spectacular as backdrop for the amazing fall color display. There were beautiful ranches many with horses grazing in their pastures. The area is home to the National Elk Refugee and it was amazing to see the large herds of Elk. We also finally found what Leona had been searching for during our recent trip to Yellowstone: Her Elusive Moose. Unfortunately we would not stop to allow her to feed it a muffin. Maybe on our next trip!







No comments: