On Sunday we had our last day at church together as a family. I started crying as soon as we dropped off the kids at their Sunday School class. They have such a cute little class and a WONDERFUL teacher, Monica. She actually teaches them as 3 year olds and as 4 year olds. She's a saint. We are all going to miss her.
Monica and the kiddos.

I didn't stop crying all through church. I was a mess. Last Sunday at Church.

Doug's Aunt Debbie and Uncle Gary joined us for a few days this weekend. They live in California and we will miss being on their side of the country. They built the sandbox last year for the kiddos and we've used it SO much.
On Monday we said goodbye to Douglas. A few of our friends and neighbors joined us to say goodbye to him as well. I had a major sob fest after everyone left that night. These goodbyes don't get any easier.
I heard chatter late last night in the kids room. I went up and found Leona in tears, "I'm miss Daddy. I'm sad it was his last day in our brown house. I'm going to miss our Rainbow room and Daddy's Rainbow Room Song".

Not only are we leaving the neighborhood but 2 of our friends, Kerry, Gootch and their families are heading to their regions of the midwest. We all started out without kids and have watched our kids become friends.
On Tuesday (Does this sound a little like the Hungry Caterpillar book?) it was Gootch's last night so we headed over to their house to say goodbye.
Leona, Sam, Kate, Anna and Gabe
Getting silly with the "big kids" in the neighborhood. Lisa with Leona, Esme with Anna, Belle with Gabe. I remember distinctly Leona's first day home from the hospital. All of these girls were so thrilled to meet her. They had all been at the pool and you could hear them running down the street yelling, "THE GIRL IS HOME!!!! We get to meet Leona". As soon as they met her Isabelle immediately asked if Leona could come over and "play dollies". It was a few years before that happened but I know that we will ALL miss the "big kids" in the 'hood.

When I picked the kids up from school yesterday Leona, like usual, had a picture for me. But this one looked a bit different.

I asked her, "Leona? These people all look very sad in this pictures." She said, "Yes, momma. These are all my friends. That's Kate and Joey and Baby Ben. We are all crying because we are going to miss each other." Can you see the frowns and the tears she's drawn? She even has a dog on their but I'm not sure if it is Molly or Gootch's dog, Annie. I couldn't ask her because I couldn't get the words out. I just kept hugging her.
And somehow with each hug, each picture and each memory, my heart hurt just a little bit less.

The kids have been sad and I've been telling them how very okay it is to be sad. Being sad means we loved very, very much. And if they can handle the sadness and tears then I better put on my big girl panties this next week and smile through the pain.
And somehow with each hug, each picture and each memory, my heart hurt just a little bit less.



1 comment:
Liam still asks to move back to the house with 1 roof (meaning our house in Texas), but it's less all the time. *hug*
Post a Comment