It's 11:30 PM and Gabe is sitting next to me on the couch eating a piece of bread and drinking some water. Yes. You read that correctly. PM. ALMOST MIDNIGHT. What the heck is he doing still awake?!?! I'd like to know the answer to that question myself.
For the last 2.5 hours he has been awake. He has slept a little bit but pretty much he has been awake. Most of it spent screaming up in his room. Both Douglas and I have tried every trick we can think of to get him to go to sleep. He's gone potty more times in a 2 hour period than he has gone all day (It's actually quite amazing how I spend the whole day reminding people to go potty and as soon as it is time for bed EVERYONE has to potty SEVERAL times.).
So he's pottied, had water, had lotion, been covered, uncovered, sang to and snuggled. He just will NOT go to sleep tonight. And he should be considerably worn out. Sarah took the kids to the park this morning. He had a short nap. We went swimming this evening. He's tired. I'M tired!!!
The longer this goes on the longer he works himself into a frenzy. He can be a pretty high strung little guy. Douglas had been up to attend to his needs the last few times so I went this time. "Do whatever he wants. Just get him to go to sleep". Those were my instructions.
As soon as I got up there I asked Gabe what he needed. "Go downstairs", he replied. Well. I had been given my daddy instructions. And at this point I was tired of going up and down the stairs. What could it hurt, right? We get downstairs and the first thing he says is "Snack???". Well. What can that hurt at this point. He is tiny. So now he's holding his piece of bread (with butter...I was able to talk him out of jelly at least) and he's just sitting here whimpering. He's had 2 bites of his bread.
He's overtired. I'm overtired. And we are BOTH at a loss for some much needed SLEEP!!! Is this some sort of Friday the 13th curse?!?!?!
11:45 PM Update: Well he's eaten most of his bread, drank his water, laughed at Craig Ferguson for a while and he says he's not sleepy.
11:55 PM Update: He's had some more water for which Daddy will thank me for when he's up with him to potty every hour. Gabe quite possibly has the world's smallest bladder. When I was pregnant I went to the bathroom less than Gabe does.
And finally the words I've been waiting for "Mommy come upstairs. Geeby tired." He looks like he could fall asleep standing up! Let's just hope he stays that way once he's laying down!
12:05 AM Update: One more trip to the potty and he snuggled up to his Pooh. I haven't heard one tiny peep out of him. Finally. Maybe we can ALL get some sleep!!!
serving tray with lid
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment