Monday, March 30, 2009

Guilty as Charged

I sent the kiddos out to play for a while this afternoon. It's pretty sunny outside and they were excited to get out there. I can watch them playing in the yard from our kitchen/dining room area. We've got a couple of big windows and it's pretty easy to see what's going on out there.

While the kiddos were busy playing I was busy cleaning up in the house. After a while I realized something: It was awfully quiet outside. As most parents know those moments of silence are usually accompanied by a sense of panic. Quiet is not good. Quiet means trouble.

I quickly dropped the laundry basket and ran over to the window. I immediately saw Leona playing with something in the yard. I took one quick sigh of relief because she's the first person to let me know that the prisoners, the boys and the beagle, have escaped.

So I stepped outside to see what she was playing with and to see what exactly the boys were up to. I don't remember if I heard the water first or if I just saw it spraying furiously from the faucet on the house. I do remember yelling something and watching two little boys jump out of their skins.

They did not only look guilty they look absolutely and completely drenched. They were soaked. Now in a few months I know I will regularly have wet kids in the yard. But today it was only in the 40's! They had stocking hats on!!! AUGH!!!

So I chased the drowned rats inside where they immediately realized how COLD they were. We stripped off the wet, muddy coats, hats, shoes, socks, shirts, pants and underwear before we headed up to warm up in the tub. With OUT bubbles because they had one angry Mommy.

Of course they've very sweetly apologized and have promised to never, ever again turn on the water faucet. Which I sincerely hope they remember...at least until it's 90 degrees outside!

The pesky faucet
The lake they've created in the backyard.
Guilty and Freezing
The aftermath!

No comments: