Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Beauty School Dropouts

So the boys have been looking a little shaggy lately. For Sam that's really not that big of a deal because he has really nice thick blond hair (definitely my texture, obviously not my color!). Gabe has very thin wispy blond hair. Very different. When his gets long it just looks messy and kind of scraggly.

The first time we took the boys to get their hair cut they had GREAT haircuts! They looked just adorable and I was really pleased. Since then we've only done a few haircuts but each time I was less than thrilled. The cuts looked just okay and they HATED going somewhere crying because of the new people right up in their face.

So I've been talking to other moms and lots of them cut their own kids' hair. I figured I really couldn't do much worse, right? In high school I helped clip our cows and horses for shows and I don't remember ever doing any major damage to any of them. So we bought a clipper this weekend.

I was definitely nervous tonight. Before dinner I had the clipper out and was showing it to the boys and telling them we were going to cut their hair after dinner. So we had some baths and got all cleaned up, ate some dinner and put in a new movie to keep their attention!

We started with Gabe first and he sat on Doug's lap. He was a little concerned at first but he sat really well. I couldn't really get to him so Doug took the trimmer and he did the back while I did the front. It looks so much shorter now but it turned out really well!!!

Sam was next and his hair is much thicker. His cut still ended up pretty short too and doesn't look quite as good as Gabe. He seems to have more cowlicks to mess with. Somehow he ended up getting some hair in his mouth and he was so funny trying to get it off of his tongue!

They both look really handsome though and Douglas did a great job! Although I don't think he's going to open a barber shop anytime soon!

Gabe sitting so very still.

Sam isn't so sure about this!


Gabe looking all nice and cool!
Sam stealing Gabe's tractor! What handsome, mischievous boys!

We had a little thunderstorm here this evening. There was just a little bit of rain but quite a bit of thunder and lightening (fortunately not too many new larges fires). The kids hadn't really been through a thunderstorm before so I wasn't sure how they would react. They did just fine. They just never did figure out why the couldn't SEE the big rumbling truck from the window!!!

And we can't forget about Sis! She didn't get a haircut of course but she sure liked watching the boys. Lately she's been such a little parrot. She said "Belle" to Isabelle who was over tonight. She also has been repeating numbers "Eight, Nine, Ten" and she's been saying things very clearly!

It's amazing how quickly the kids can get into trouble. We like to have lunch outside at our nice little picnic table. It's really great when it's hot for popsicles! So yesterday I went in to the house to get some lunch started. I was busy cutting up grapes and I can see the kids running around the yard through the windows so I really wasn't too concerned.

When I went back outside it was quite apparent that Gabe and Leona had been VERY busy with some MUD! Yes, Mud! Where do you get mud in the desert when it's 100 degrees??? Well you dig under the bark and the dog helps you dig a whole and then you can give yourself a nice facial!

One of her new favorite things to do is get herself dressed. It doesn't always go quite how it should for her though. She regularly get both legs in one pant leg opening and the other day before we went to the pool this is what happened when she tried to put her floaty suit on. Poor girl! She sure tries hard...and screeches loudly when she's stuck!

3 comments:

M said...

Good job on the haircuts!!!

How much does Leona charge for her MUD facials...I have heard those can be good for you. LOL

EP said...

Thanks for the update.

So, not to be rude, but where are the birthday pics... unless I missed them I don't think they've been posted yet?

And, let me just tell you, when I finally get around to sending the kids' birthday gifts, you're going to love them... not sure how excited the kids will be, but they're two, I don't have to buy gifts they love until they're like thirteen and moody, or something. In the mean time, I'm going to buy what makes me happy.

Oh, and I think you're going to like the special bonus feature... there's something for you.

"Douglas?" you ask. Well, he's a boy who besides Legos, I have no idea what to buy. Especially when traveling through Singapore. He'll have to deal.

Julie said...

M - They're VERY expensive!!! I don't think I can afford it. It would have to be a special birthday thing I think! LOL!

EP-Good to have you back!!! And Woot! Woot! for PRESENTS!!! And no...I didn't ask...why do boys ever need presents??? They can buy their own sticking legos!!! Or make do with the 8 million mega blocks in the playroom.

Umm...no there are no birthday pictures up yet (hiding under a chair here...and I'm still working on thank you notes for the gifts that we have gotten). I promise by the weekend.

We have craziness going on preparing for Doug's work river float trip and bbq here for his entire staff and then your Dad coming and Mara coming this following week.

Sheesh. I'm tired just thinking about it all! Maybe I'll have to treat myself to a mud facial! LOL!