Thursday, September 27, 2007

Give a Dog a Bone

I went for a run this evening. I was tired. There was Bronco football on (which we WON! Big game for us.). But it's hard to break routine and it was just beautiful outside.

I ran down through the same park I normally go. It's really pretty along the river. The pathway borders a pretty busy road and crosses the bridge. People often park on the shoulder of the road and get out to go fishing or to float down the river on a raft. The road comes down a hill from one direction and has a slight curve. I don't know how many times I've almost hit people because they dart out across the road or they back up as you are coming down the hill.

As I was finishing my run and heading home a guy about my age got out of his car with his fishing pole. He had two dogs that got out with him. The dogs were so excited to get out and they were jumping and running all around. The guy crossed the road and the dogs didn't follow him but were still running around. There were several close calls.

Just as I was going to run past them a black convertible came down the hill, crossed the bridge and one of the dogs ran across in front of it. The dog was hit on it's left hindquarters. It was so awful to watch. It was only about 20 feet from me and I ran up the hill and helped hold the dog while the guy tried to catch the other dog. The driver of the car stopped to help as well (his headlight was broken and his car was damaged).

The dog seemed dazed and confused and didn't put any weight on his leg but it didn't seem to be broken and he amazingly didn't have any bleeding. The guy packed him up and headed off to the vet.

It's so hard for me to watch something like that and know that it could be prevented. A simple leash. That's all it takes. If you can't control your dogs then for the love of all things canine...please give a dog a bone and put them on a leash. It will save me a heart attack while I'm out running and it might save man's best friend too.

1 comment:

M said...

So true....how sad you had to see that.